At Southfield, we want to encourage children’s curiosity and interests, equipping them with the knowledge and skills they need to be citizens in our digital world.
- Builds learning upon a foundation of high-quality talk
- Enriches learning using quality literature and vocabulary
- Encourages outdoor learning and the smart use of technology to inspire and nurture learning
- Promotes craftsmanship to encourage children to practice, refine, publish and present their learning
- Provides children with opportunities to think and learn about equality and acceptance in the world they live; locally and globally
Our broad and balanced curriculum means subjects are woven together to build a tapestry approach to learning. To successfully achieve this, we ensure:
- Termly curriculum themes are skillfully designed by all subject leaders to ensure there is clear progression of skills across the year groups
- Teachers build on children’s prior or existing knowledge and selectively choose key questions to answer to deepen children’s knowledge
- Lesson design is carefully crafted to teach and model, children have time to practice, refine and apply the skills independently
- Timetabling of learning is flexible and enables teachers to plan a personalised approach to teach the curriculum, an approach which is personalised and is designed for their class
- Quality literature, outdoor learning, technology and wider opportunities are used expertly to craft skills of all children
- Subject leader continually support, monitor, enhance and update subjects to ensure learning is relevant and progressive
- Outcomes for each term are chosen based on audience or purpose. They may differ to meet the needs of all children
At Southfield, we expect all groups of learners to make good progress from their starting points academically, emotionally, creatively, socially and physically.
Our carefully crafted curriculum uses quality assessment for learning to raise standards and enables all children to reach their potential. This is used in conjunction with standardised tests and subject leader monitoring.
Subject leaders have regular release time to monitor subjects. They strive to improve standards through team teaching, modelling, collaborative planning and coaching.
Our children will leave our school with:
- Pride and motivation to work hard
- Strong and confident communication skills
- Aspirations to try new challenges
- Emotional resilience and perseverance